Sports
Sakkari and Kenin Advance with Solid Wins at Charleston Open

Charleston, South Carolina – Two former Top 10 players, Sofia Kenin and Maria Sakkari, started their clay-court seasons on a high note with straight-set victories at the WTA 500 Credit One Charleston Open on Tuesday.
Sakkari initiated the day’s matches at Credit One Stadium, overpowering Canadian wild card Marina Stakusic with a score of 6-3, 6-2. Kenin followed suit, maintaining her momentum with a 6-3, 6-4 win over fellow American Bernarda Pera. Their performances set the stage for exciting second-round matchups against seeded opponents.
Sakkari, appearing in Charleston for the fourth time, is seeking a revitalization as the clay-court season unfolds. After reaching the semifinals last year as the third seed and then suffering a shoulder injury that hampered her 2024 season, the Greek player is focused on leveraging her Charleston experience as a springboard for the rest of 2025. Sakkari noted, “I’m so happy that even though I was a double break down in the first set, I managed to turn things around.” With a record of 6-11 this season and currently ranked No. 64, Sakkari aims to reclaim her form as she prepares to face World No. 7 Zheng Qinwen in the next round.
“It’s going to be very tough, hopefully, for both of us,” Sakkari said, reflecting on her upcoming match. “I’m feeling comfortable on the clay; she has been playing some great tennis, but I’m going to come out and enjoy.”
Kenin, the 2020 Australian Open champion, also celebrated a successful return to Charleston, marking her first win at the event since 2023. The match against Pera required extra time, as rain interrupted play on Monday night when Kenin was leading 4-2. Upon resumption, Kenin battled through challenges, saving break points before securing the match. She will face No. 17 seed Belinda Bencic next.
“I feel like I’m at home,” Kenin stated after her victory. “I’m just excited to be off to a winning start.”
In related news, three Americans—Madison Keys, Amanda Anisimova, and defending champion Danielle Collins—advocated for their presence in the round of 16 during Tuesday evening’s matches. Keys, the No. 2 seed, experienced a nail-biting contest against Caroline Dolehide, needing eight match points to secure the win at 6-3, 7-6(4). Despite her perilous position, Keys expressed relief after the match, acknowledging Dolehide’s strong performance.
“I think [Dolehide] started playing some of her best tennis at the end, and I think I got a little bit passive,” Keys reflected. “But I got it done, and I get to come back out and play another match here.”
Defending champion Collins began her title defense decisively, defeating Robin Montgomery 6-3, 6-1. Collins, now with seven consecutive wins in Charleston, attributed her success to a positive mindset during matches. “I’m most happy with my mindset, and just being relentless,” she remarked after the match.
Finally, No. 8 seed Anisimova concluded the evening with a solid 6-2, 6-2 victory over 2021 Charleston champion Veronika Kudermetova, marking her first win against the former Top 10 player. “It’s always nice to be back, the first clay tournament of the year,” Anisimova said, expressing enthusiasm for her advancement in the tournament.