A fire that started near Trappieskop in Kalk Bay, Capetown, on Monday has been reported as largely contained, according to City of Cape Town officials. The fire caused the destruction of one house during the firefighting operation. Fire and Rescue Services spokesperson Jermaine Carelse provided updates on the situation, noting that aerial support continued to assist the ground teams.
The blaze, first reported at 14:20, spread from Trappieskop towards the areas of St. James and Boyes Drive, driven by unusual hot winds. SANParks received reports of the fire and deployed firefighting crews and aerial support to address the situation.
City resources, including four helicopters and a plane, were sent to the scene to aid in extinguishing the flames. Boyes Drive had to be closed to traffic to accommodate the firefighting operations. Crews from various organizations, such as Table Mountain National Park, NCC Environmental Services contractors, City of Cape Town Fire and Rescue Services, Working on Fire, and Volunteer Wildfire Services, collaborated to combat the fire.
Responding to the incident, SANParks spokesperson Lauren Clayton described the ongoing operations, highlighting that the area remained volatile. Despite the destruction of one unoccupied house, no evacuations of residents were reported, as strategic placement of crews ensured coverage of the residential area.
Due to smoke impeding visibility, motorists were warned to proceed with caution in the affected area. Road closures included Boyes Drive, Main, and Clairvaux, prompting drivers to seek alternative routes. Throughout the evening, active firefighting efforts persisted, signifying the continued dedication of responders at the scene.
- Matildas Captain Sam Kerr to Stand Trial for Racially Aggravated Harassment
- Naira to Dollar Black Market (Bureau De Change) Exchange Rate Today
- March Madness and Vasectomies: The Trend of Vas-Madness
- Arsenal Dominate in Premier League Clash Against Sheffield United
- Darts Commentator and Bullseye Host Tony Green Dies at 85 After Battle with Alzheimer’s
- Jason Kelce Announces Retirement After 13 Seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles
- Sydney Sweeney’s Fiancé: All You Need to Know
- Gold Prices Hit Three-Month Peak on Rate Cut Bets
- Ceiling of Ambience Mall Collapses in Vasant Kunj, No Injuries Reported
- Inter Milan Dominate Genoa in Serie A Clash: Martinez Shines with Double
- Soo Greyhounds Dominate Sarnia Sting with Power Play Surge
- Super Tuesday Showdown: Nikki Haley Faces Uphill Battle Against Donald Trump
- Government Increases General Levy Rates Following Consultation Feedback
- Investment Initiative Launches Campaign Against Modern Slavery in UK Companies
- NHL Trade Deadline Looms: Playoff Contenders Eye Key Acquisitions
- Tension Brews in Udege-Mbeki Community Over Chinese Mining Company Expansion Plans
- Luton Embraces International Women’s Day with Inspiring Events
- Al Ain Secures Victory Against Al Nassr in AFC Champions League Quarterfinals
- Rita Moreno and Craig Melvin Keep Fauxmance Alive on TODAY Show
- Iconic Bar-B-Barn Restaurant Closes After Decades of Service in Montreal