Sports
MMA Event Canceled Amid Alleged Assassination Plot Against Former UFC Fighter

Sydney, Australia — A mixed martial arts event scheduled for April 19 at the William Inglis Hotel in Warwick Farm has been canceled due to police concerns about an alleged assassination attempt targeting former UFC fighter Suman Mokhtarian. The Dark Matter Fighting Championship was set to feature Mokhtarian as a coach when police intervened, citing serious public safety risks.
NSW Police notified Dark Matter promoter Andrew Delmas on March 31, stating they believed there was credible intelligence indicating Mokhtarian could be the target of a gangland hit. “There is a serious risk to public safety should this event take place,” the police wrote, leading to the refusal of the necessary permit to hold the event.
Delmas, who expressed his frustration over the cancellation, told 2GB’s Ben Fordham, “I see their position, but I feel like I’m the meat in the sandwich here. It’s very difficult; these types of events are extremely difficult to put together… it takes months of work.” He has since been negotiating with police and the NSW Combat Sports Authority to explore alternative arrangements, noting he had identified a possible different venue.
This is not the first time Mokhtarian has been embroiled in a violent incident. In February 2024, he survived an assassination attempt outside the Australian Top Team gym in Wentworthville, where a gunman disguised as a food delivery driver opened fire. The assailant was later arrested and charged with attempted murder but is currently out on bail.
The police also expressed concerns for the safety of other fighters on the card, though specific names were not disclosed. Delmas reassured that the fighters had previously passed screenings by the NSW Combat Sports Authority.
Mokhtarian, who last fought in the UFC in 2019, has since taken on a coaching role at the Australian Top Team gym, where he has prepared several fighters for competition. He told 2GB he is open to not attending the event if it would allow the fight night to proceed smoothly. However, the mood surrounding the event remains tense as safety takes precedence.
In a statement, NSW Police clarified their role in the situation, emphasizing they provide safety and security advice while the Combat Sports Authority decides on event viability. “NSW Police will continue to work closely with event organizers to ensure the safety and security of attendees and the wider community at any potential future events,” the statement read.
The Combat Sports Authority has yet to respond to inquiries regarding the cancellation and its implications for the upcoming fight night. As Delmas works diligently to seek a resolution, uncertainty looms over the future of the Dark Matter Fighting Championship amid serious safety concerns.