Former political adviser and psychotherapist Derek Draper was laid to rest yesterday, as stars and politicians gathered to pay their respects. The funeral was attended by Draper’s wife, TV presenter Kate Garraway, along with close friends and family, including Sir Elton John and Sir Tony Blair.
Draper, who had been living with severe complications from Covid since contracting the disease in March 2020, passed away in January after suffering a cardiac arrest. His wife, Garraway, described him as her ‘darling husband’ in a heartfelt tribute.
Among the notable guests at the private service were politicians and TV personalities. Piers Morgan, Ben Shephard, Richard Madeley, and Susanna Reid from Good Morning Britain paid their respects. Broadcaster Myleene Klass and musician Richard Madeley were also present to bid farewell to their friend.
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer and former Labour spin doctor Alastair Campbell were seen arriving at the church, along with former Labour MPs Lord Peter Mandelson, Tristram Hunt, Ed Balls, and Ed Miliband. Draper, originally from Chorley in Lancashire, had been a prominent figure in the Labour Party before leaving politics.
Draper’s career took a turn as he retrained as a psychotherapist and established himself as an author and columnist. He founded the LabourList website in 2009, a news platform independent of the Labour Party but supporting its agenda. His two books, ‘Blair’s 100 Days’ and ‘Life Support,’ gained recognition for their insights into the political landscape.
The funeral was a somber affair, with attendees paying tribute to Draper’s contributions and remembering him as a good colleague and friend. Friends and family gathered at the Church of St Mary The Virgin in Primrose Hill, North London, to say their final goodbyes to a remarkable man.
- CUET UG 2024 Registration Opens: Apply Now for Common University Entrance Test
- RCB vs GG WPL 2024: Royal Challengers Bangalore Outplay Gujarat Giants with Convincing Win in WPL Match
- Banyana Banyana Coach Urges Caution Ahead of Olympic Qualifier Second Leg Against Tanzania
- Miss SA Natasha Joubert Partners with Boston City Campus to Gift 31 Students Educational Opportunities
- Pokémon Company Announces Major Updates and New Games on Pokémon Day
- Clint Eastwood’s Career-Changing Role in A Fistful of Dollars Garnered International Stardom
- The Pokémon Company Unveils Exciting Updates on Pokémon Day 2024
- Indian Cricketer Mohammed Shami’s Wealth Exceeds Rs 55 Crore with Lavish Properties and Contracts
- Ruben Neves Reveals Near Miss Move to Barcelona Before Al-Hilal Switch
- Mexico Stuns USWNT in W Gold Cup Upset
- Disastrous Willy’s Chocolate Experience Leaves Families Disappointed in Glasgow
- BBC Apologizes for Mishandling Huw Edwards Complaint, Promises Improved Procedures
- D2L Forges Strategic Partnerships with ASAE and Association Forum to Enhance Member Engagement
- Rajya Sabha Polls: BJP Claims Majority as Cross-Voting Reported in Himachal Pradesh
- Sidhu Moosewala’s Mother Charan Kaur Expecting Baby at 58: Considerations for Late IVF Pregnancy
- Prince William Unexpectedly Pulls Out of Memorial Service for Former King Constantine of Greece
- Blowing Snow Advisory Hits Winnipeg and Southern Manitoba: Hazardous Travel Expected
- Gender Pay Gap in Australian Finance Sector Revealed by Investment Bank Reports
- Qantas Flight Attendant’s Heartwarming Act of Kindness on Final Flight Touches Passengers and Crewmates
- Controversial Call Mars Knicks Victory over Pistons: Coach Monty Williams Unleashes Frustration