Following a recent decision from the Ontario Court of Appeal, Unifor, a prominent workers’ union in Canada, praised the court’s ruling on Bill 124, deeming it unconstitutional. This legislation, introduced by Premier Doug Ford‘s administration, faced scrutiny due to its imposition of wage caps on public sector workers. The Ontario Superior Court had first declared the bill unconstitutional, a decision now affirmed by the appeal court.
Lana Payne, the National President of Unifor, emphasized that this ruling is a victory for tens of thousands of employees, particularly in healthcare and education, who had been stripped of their right to collective bargaining. Unifor has actively worked towards securing retroactive pay for impacted workers by having provisions in place for renegotiating wages post the bill’s nullification.
Samia Hashi, the Ontario Regional Director at Unifor, underscored the importance of fair wages and workplace rights, particularly in the current climate where workers face financial challenges and healthcare strains. Unifor has also advocated for the enhancement of public services, stating they will persist in fighting for the betterment of these services.
Bill 124 has a direct impact on over 18,155 Unifor members across various sectors including hospitals, long-term care facilities, paramedic services, and education. Notably, a substantial majority of the affected Unifor members are female workers engaged in essential care roles.
For media inquiries about Unifor’s stance and efforts, Paul Whyte, a Communications Representative at the organization, can be reached. Unifor, as Canada’s largest private sector union representing 315,000 workers, continues its advocacy for the rights of working individuals, striving for equality, justice, and progressive reforms nationally and internationally.
- Telangana CM Seeks PM Modi’s Support for State Development
- Business Mogul Dangote Names Major Road After Late Banking Icon Herbert Wigwe
- South Western Railway Launches Anti-Abuse Campaign After Verbal Assaults on Staff
- Texas Considers Year-Round Daylight Saving Time: What You Need to Know
- Euro Area Bank Interest Rates Show Varied Trends in January 2024
- Matildas Captain Sam Kerr to Stand Trial for Racially Aggravated Harassment
- Naira to Dollar Black Market (Bureau De Change) Exchange Rate Today
- March Madness and Vasectomies: The Trend of Vas-Madness
- Arsenal Dominate in Premier League Clash Against Sheffield United
- Darts Commentator and Bullseye Host Tony Green Dies at 85 After Battle with Alzheimer’s
- Jason Kelce Announces Retirement After 13 Seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles
- Sydney Sweeney’s Fiancé: All You Need to Know
- Gold Prices Hit Three-Month Peak on Rate Cut Bets
- Ceiling of Ambience Mall Collapses in Vasant Kunj, No Injuries Reported
- Inter Milan Dominate Genoa in Serie A Clash: Martinez Shines with Double
- Soo Greyhounds Dominate Sarnia Sting with Power Play Surge
- Super Tuesday Showdown: Nikki Haley Faces Uphill Battle Against Donald Trump
- Government Increases General Levy Rates Following Consultation Feedback
- Investment Initiative Launches Campaign Against Modern Slavery in UK Companies
- NHL Trade Deadline Looms: Playoff Contenders Eye Key Acquisitions