As Indigenous Australians prepare to commemorate January 26, a day filled with varying interpretations, surgeon Kelvin Kong urges the nation to consider the disparities in access to healthcare while acknowledging the complexities of the date. Given his recent appointment as a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) for his service in Indigenous health, Kong highlights the need for a unified national celebration that brings harmony to the country.
Supporting Indigenous voices, the youth climate network Seed has published a guide for non-Indigenous individuals seeking to be good allies on January 26. The #ChangeTheDate campaign, which aims to reconsider the appropriateness of celebrating the day the First Fleet landed in Australia, has gained traction and will be marked by Indigenous-led protest marches across the country. Notably, Naarm (Melbourne) and Meanjin (Brisbane) are expected to have significant turnouts.
The Yabun Festival, hosted by the Gadigal Information Service at Victoria Park, Camperdown, offers a testament to the enduring strength and vibrancy of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures. Themed ‘Surviving, Guiding, Thriving’, the festival celebrates the resilience of these communities and features performances by Emily Wurramara, Mi-kaisha, and Frank Yamma, alongside talks and activities.
The Coota Girls Aboriginal Corporation, representing survivors of the Cootamundra Domestic Training Home for Aboriginal Girls, will have a stall at the festival to educate visitors about the history of the Stolen Generations. These generations were forcibly removed from their families between the early 20th century and the 1970s, suffering physical, sexual, emotional, and cultural abuse in institutions like the Cootamundra Girls home. Alicia Bairle, CEO of the Coota Girls, stresses the importance of raising awareness of this recent and shocking history.
In addition to the festival, Yabun attendees will have free access to the Victoria Park Pool to cool off on the day.
- Michigan State Looks to Continue NCAA Tournament Streak Against Ohio State in Big Ten Matchup
- LA Galaxy Defeated in Preseason Match Against FC Miami City in La Manga Tournament
- Lily Gladstone Makes History with SAG Award Win for Best Actress
- Late Penalty Equalizer Secures Draw for PSG Against Rennes
- Porto Held to a 1-1 Draw by Gil Vicente After Late Equaliser
- Thrilling Finish as Suarez Edges Out Busch and Blaney in NASCAR Cup Race at Atlanta Motor Speedway
- Canadian Actor Chris Gauthier Passes Away at 48, Remembered Fondly by Colleagues
- Rookie Golfer Jake Knapp Clinches First PGA Tour Win at Mexico Open
- Calgary Flames 2024 Rebuild Showing Remarkable Progress from 2013
- Parramatta Eels’ Mitchell Moses Highlights Importance of Fast Start to NRL Season
- Former NFL Star Cam Newton Involved in Altercation at Youth Football Camp in Atlanta
- Succession: Exploring Logan Roy’s Most Memorable Moments in HBO’s Hit Drama
- Chris Chelios’ Emotional Jersey Retirement Ceremony at United Center
- Ottawa Sens Foundation Program Introduces Kids to Ice Skating at Canadian Tire Centre
- Truman Capote’s Literary Legacy: A Closer Look at His Iconic Works
- Phoenix Suns Look to Extend Home Winning Streak Against LA Lakers in Pacific Division Showdown
- Star Trek Actor Kenneth Mitchell Dies at 49 After Battling ALS for Over Five Years
- Navigating Freelance Taxation: Essential Tips for New Freelancers in 2024
- Ottawa Senators’ Chabot Excels on the Ice Against Tampa Bay Lightning
- Pennsylvania’s Pine Creek Gorge: The State’s Hidden Gem