In a remarkable display of batting prowess, Pathum Nissanka of Sri Lanka etched his name in the record books by scoring a historic double century in the first ODI against Afghanistan at the picturesque Pallekele International Cricket Stadium. This outstanding performance propelled Sri Lanka to a thrilling 42-run victory over a determined Afghanistan side.
Despite Sri Lanka posting an imposing total of 381/3, Afghanistan showcased resilience in their chase, with Mohammad Nabi and Azmatullah Omarzai forging a formidable partnership of 242 runs – the second-highest in ODI history. However, their efforts fell short as they could only muster 339/6 by the end of their innings.
Nissanka’s unbeaten knock of 210 runs, which included an array of breathtaking strokes and impeccable timing, earned him the well-deserved Player of the Match award. This milestone double century marked a historic moment for Sri Lankan cricket, surpassing the previous record held by legendary Sanath Jayasuriya.
Opening the innings alongside Avishka Fernando, Nissanka laid the foundation for Sri Lanka’s imposing total with a brilliant 182-run partnership. His masterful innings, which saw him reach his century in just 88 balls, set the stage for Sri Lanka’s commanding performance.
The hosts’ victory not only signifies their dominance in the series but also highlights Nissanka’s emergence as a formidable force in international cricket. With the second ODI scheduled to take place soon, Sri Lanka will aim to continue their winning momentum and clinch the series against Afghanistan.
- Telangana CM Seeks PM Modi’s Support for State Development
- Business Mogul Dangote Names Major Road After Late Banking Icon Herbert Wigwe
- South Western Railway Launches Anti-Abuse Campaign After Verbal Assaults on Staff
- Texas Considers Year-Round Daylight Saving Time: What You Need to Know
- Euro Area Bank Interest Rates Show Varied Trends in January 2024
- Matildas Captain Sam Kerr to Stand Trial for Racially Aggravated Harassment
- Naira to Dollar Black Market (Bureau De Change) Exchange Rate Today
- March Madness and Vasectomies: The Trend of Vas-Madness
- Arsenal Dominate in Premier League Clash Against Sheffield United
- Darts Commentator and Bullseye Host Tony Green Dies at 85 After Battle with Alzheimer’s
- Jason Kelce Announces Retirement After 13 Seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles
- Sydney Sweeney’s Fiancé: All You Need to Know
- Gold Prices Hit Three-Month Peak on Rate Cut Bets
- Ceiling of Ambience Mall Collapses in Vasant Kunj, No Injuries Reported
- Inter Milan Dominate Genoa in Serie A Clash: Martinez Shines with Double
- Soo Greyhounds Dominate Sarnia Sting with Power Play Surge
- Super Tuesday Showdown: Nikki Haley Faces Uphill Battle Against Donald Trump
- Government Increases General Levy Rates Following Consultation Feedback
- Investment Initiative Launches Campaign Against Modern Slavery in UK Companies
- NHL Trade Deadline Looms: Playoff Contenders Eye Key Acquisitions