In a surprising Cup of Nations tournament filled with upsets, Nigeria emerged victorious in a quarter-final match against Angola, securing their spot in the semi-finals for the 16th time. Led by Ademola Lookman‘s first-half goal and their fourth consecutive clean sheet, Nigeria displayed a controlled performance to clinch the win.
José Peseiro, the coach of the Nigerian team, expressed his satisfaction with the result, underlining the belief his players have in their model, organization, and spirit. He defended his pre-tournament record and emphasized the significance of their win over Angola, countering any underestimation of the opponent’s strength.
Angola’s coach, Pedro Gonçalves, acknowledged Nigeria’s victory and admitted that his team couldn’t match their intensity due to fatigue. He praised Nigeria’s deserving win and discouraged complaints about the defeat, urging his team to maintain a good attitude.
Nigeria has a remarkable track record in Cup of Nations quarter-finals, having lost only one in 11 appearances since 1990. Comparatively, Angola proved to be a challenging opponent but lacked the inspiration and performance of past Ghanaian teams.
The goal arrived unexpectedly right before halftime, with Lookman capitalizing on a defensive lapse by Eddie Afonso. Moses Simon‘s quick thinking set up the goal, allowing Lookman to net his third tournament goal.
Although Nigeria controlled the game deftly, Peseiro was disappointed by their failure to convert their counterattacks and put the game to bed. Notably, Angola had a golden opportunity to equalize just before the hour mark when Zini‘s shot hit the post. A moment that will surely haunt him.
Nigeria’s solid defense combined with the brilliance of Osimhen and Lookman proved to be a winning formula throughout the tournament. With their top-ranked status and a streak of clean sheets, Nigeria now heads to the semi-finals with confidence.
- Rangers B to Face Royal Antwerp Under-21s in Belgium Youth Showdown
- Meg Lanning Leads Delhi Capitals to Victory in Women’s Premier League Match
- Sri Lanka Starts Strong in First T20I Against Bangladesh
- Hearts Women Secure Convincing 3-0 Victory Over Dundee United in SWPL Match
- Olly Murs and Wife Amelia’s Greggs-Themed Baby Shower Surprise
- Blowing Snow Advisory Issued for Westman and City of Brandon by Environment Canada
- Samsung Launches Galaxy F15 5G in India with Powerful Specifications and Attractive Offers
- CLSA revises Tata Steel share price target, expert suggests buying opportunity on ET Now Swadesh show
- English Striker Ollie Watkins Surges to Top of Premier League Goal Contributions List
- Elle Macpherson Returns to the Runway in Spectacular Fashion at the PayPal Melbourne Fashion Festival
- New Search Proposal for Malaysia Airlines MH370 Sparks Hope for Answers
- Mukka Proteins IPO Receives Massive Response on Final Bidding Day
- Kia Australia Unveils Star-Studded Ute Commercial Featuring Sporting Icons
- Married At First Sight Couples Retreat Takes Place at Stunning Byron Bay Location
- Mukka Proteins IPO Subscription Ends Today with Overwhelming Response
- Spanish Tourist Gang-Rape in Jharkhand Sparks Outrage and Criticism
- Vaibhav Gupta Emerges as Indian Idol 14 Winner, Takes Home Grand Prize
- Mark Zuckerberg and Wife Admire Anant Ambani’s Luxury Watch
- Kate Henshaw Joins Baigewallet as Brand Ambassador, Pledges Support for Financial Literacy
- Teen in Critical Condition After Gunfire Exchange Near Six Flags Over Georgia