Muhammadu Buhari is a Nigerian politician and retired military general who has served as the President of Nigeria since 2015. He previously served as the military Head of State of Nigeria from 1983 to 1985, after taking power in a coup d’état.
Early Life and Education
Muhammadu Buhari was born on December 17, 1942, in Daura, Katsina State, Nigeria. He is a Fulani by ethnicity and a Muslim by faith. Buhari attended the Provincial Secondary School Katsina from 1953 to 1956. He then joined the Nigerian Army in 1959 and was commissioned as a second lieutenant in 1961.
Buhari attended the Mons Officer Cadet School in Aldershot, England, in 1962 and the Defence Services Staff College in Wellington, India, in 1973. He also attended the Army War College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in 1979.
Buhari served in the Nigerian Army for 25 years, rising through the ranks to become a major general. He participated in the Nigerian Civil War (1967-1970) and commanded the 2nd Division of the Nigerian Army.
In 1983, Buhari led a coup d’état that overthrew the democratically elected government of Shehu Shagari. He became the military Head of State of Nigeria and ruled for two years. He was overthrown in a coup d’état in 1985 by General Ibrahim Babangida.
After his overthrow, Buhari retired from the military and entered politics. He ran for President of Nigeria in 2003, 2007, and 2011, but was unsuccessful in all three elections.
In 2015, Buhari ran for President of Nigeria again on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC). He won the election and was sworn in as President on May 29, 2015. He was re-elected in 2019 for a second term.
As President, Buhari has focused on fighting corruption, improving security, and diversifying the Nigerian economy. He has also been a vocal critic of terrorism and extremism.
Buhari has been married twice. His first wife, Safinatu Yusuf, died in childbirth in 1988. He married his second wife, Aisha Halilu, in 1989. Buhari has ten children and many grandchildren.
Buhari’s net worth is estimated to be around $80 million. He is one of the wealthiest people in Nigeria. His wealth comes from a variety of sources, including his military career, his political career, and his business interests.
Muhammadu Buhari is a complex and controversial figure. He is a military officer, a politician, a businessman, and a philanthropist. He is also a deeply religious man. Buhari has had a profound impact on Nigerian history, both during his military rule and during his presidency. He is a towering figure in Nigerian politics and is still active in public life today.
Buhari’s legacy is still being debated. Some people see him as a strong leader who has made Nigeria a safer and more prosperous country. Others see him as a dictator who has undermined democracy and human rights.
Only time will tell how Buhari will be remembered by history. However, there is no doubt that he is one of the most important figures in Nigerian history.
- Indian Cricketer Mohammed Shami’s Wealth Exceeds Rs 55 Crore with Lavish Properties and Contracts
- Ruben Neves Reveals Near Miss Move to Barcelona Before Al-Hilal Switch
- Mexico Stuns USWNT in W Gold Cup Upset
- Disastrous Willy’s Chocolate Experience Leaves Families Disappointed in Glasgow
- BBC Apologizes for Mishandling Huw Edwards Complaint, Promises Improved Procedures
- D2L Forges Strategic Partnerships with ASAE and Association Forum to Enhance Member Engagement
- Rajya Sabha Polls: BJP Claims Majority as Cross-Voting Reported in Himachal Pradesh
- Sidhu Moosewala’s Mother Charan Kaur Expecting Baby at 58: Considerations for Late IVF Pregnancy
- Prince William Unexpectedly Pulls Out of Memorial Service for Former King Constantine of Greece
- Blowing Snow Advisory Hits Winnipeg and Southern Manitoba: Hazardous Travel Expected
- Gender Pay Gap in Australian Finance Sector Revealed by Investment Bank Reports
- Qantas Flight Attendant’s Heartwarming Act of Kindness on Final Flight Touches Passengers and Crewmates
- Controversial Call Mars Knicks Victory over Pistons: Coach Monty Williams Unleashes Frustration
- Emmanuel Macron Considers Sending Western Troops to Ukraine: Reactions and Criticisms
- Collingwood Dominates Richmond in Pre-Season Clash with Late Injury Scare for Tigers’ Jack Graham
- ISRO Successfully Tests Cryogenic Engine for Gaganyaan Mission, Crew Ready for Spaceflight
- Steel Stocks Surge: Is it a Good Time to Invest?
- Namibia’s Jan Nicol Loftie-Eaton Shatters T20I Records with Blistering Century Against Nepal
- Celebrity Wedding Extravaganza: Anant Ambani-Radhika Merchant Pre-Wedding Menu Revealed
- Seyi Law Sparks Controversy in Nigerian Entertainment Industry with Noble Igwe Feud