Sports
Michael Johnson Launches Grand Slam Track to Revitalize Athletics

Kingston, Jamaica — Michael Johnson, a legendary figure in track and field, is set to launch a new four-part professional track league, Grand Slam Track, starting this Friday. The initiative aims to maintain the sport’s visibility and excitement outside of the Olympic Games, where track and field typically garners its largest audience.
With a prize pool totaling $12.5 million (£9.5 million) and a roster featuring top athletes like Emmanuel Wanyonyi and Marco Arop, Johnson believes this league can capture the attention of track enthusiasts year-round. “Grand Slam Track is the equivalent of UFC and Formula One,” Johnson explained. “The research tells us that people watched track during the Olympics because of the stakes, the stars, and the stories.”
The league’s events will span from April to June, showcasing four “slams.” Each competition will feature athletes racing in their specialty event as well as a second, differing race, aimed at creating thrilling head-to-head matchups. “In Kingston, we’ve got the Olympic 800m gold medallist Emmanuel Wanyonyi and the world 800m champion Marco Arop competing against each other in both the 800m and 1500m,” Johnson said.
Winning a slam carries significant rewards; weekend winners will take home $100,000 (£75,800), while even those who finish last receive $10,000. Johnson likens the excitement generated by head-to-head competition to that experienced during fantasy matchups often discussed among fans. “For years, track fans have been putting matchups together, saying this will be my fantasy race. We have brought the fantasy to life,” he said.
Though Johnson has previously expressed ambitions to “save” the sport, he clarifies that track and field doesn’t need rescue but rather a platform to unify its audience. “Every four years, it’s the most popular sport on the planet,” he pointed out, noting that over 155 million viewers watch at least two track meets each year. “It’s just been so fragmented.”
Johnson detailed plans to feature a total of 48 star athletes across locations in Miami, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles. Among those committed to the league are Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone, Gabby Thomas, and Dina Asher-Smith. While Johnson aims to attract both seasoned viewers and new fans, skepticism remains about the league’s potential for growth. Critics note the absence of iconic stars from the Netflix series Sprint, such as Noah Lyles and Sha’Carri Richardson, and express concerns over the league’s ability to fill stadiums in major U.S. cities.
“We’re doing what every athlete and fan has said the sport needs,” Johnson said, emphasizing the importance of better broadcast deals and higher earnings for athletes. He remains unfazed by skepticism, insisting that past failures can transform into future successes. “I’m not going to over-focus on the few people that have said it’s not for me,” he remarked.
Johnson anticipates success for the inaugural season as gauged through brand growth and engagement. “It’s about growing the brand, growing our fanbase, growing our attendance at our live events, and growing engagement,” he explained. “We’ve already done two of the most difficult parts: getting 48 of the best in the world signed up to the league and having broadcast distribution in 189 countries.”
All events will be streamed live on Peacock, and the Kingston event is set to begin at 11:30 p.m. Friday, offering a new and exciting chapter for track and field enthusiasts. As Johnson expressed before the event, “There’s pressure, but there’s excitement right alongside it. We’re ready to finally get this thing started.”