Connect with us

Sports

Yankees’ Carrasco Prepares for First Start Since Last August

Published

on

Yankees Baseball Game Carlos Carrasco Pitching

BRONX, N.Y. — Carlos Carrasco is set to make his first start for the New York Yankees on Thursday, marking his return to the mound after a challenging season last year with the Cleveland Guardians. The right-hander’s spot in the Yankees’ rotation comes as the team has been plagued by injuries, with key pitchers Gerrit Cole, Luis Gil, and Clarke Schmidt all sidelined.

Cole underwent Tommy John surgery and is out for the remainder of the season. Gil is not expected to return until at least June due to a lat strain, while Schmidt, recovering from rotator cuff tendinitis, is on track to make his season debut within two weeks. This situation places additional pressure on Carrasco, who finished the previous season with a 5.64 ERA.

“This is a big chance for me,” Carrasco said Wednesday before the game at Yankee Stadium. “I just have to go out there and pitch the same way I did in spring training. Compete every pitch, every out and inning and go from there.”

During the spring, the 38-year-old Carrasco performed well, allowing only three earned runs across 16 innings in the Grapefruit League. After signing a minor league deal with the Yankees, he made the team roster with hopes of revitalizing his career. He credited his Yankees debut out of the bullpen in a recent victory over the Milwaukee Brewers for helping him shake off some nerves.

“I’ve been in the league a lot of years, but on Saturday, when I came out of the pen, I was a little nervous,” Carrasco remarked about his relief appearance, where he allowed three runs in two innings. “Pitching for the Yankees is different. The fans are different. I’m glad I got out there the first time and now I can just do my job.”

With Schmidt’s impending return, Carrasco acknowledges the uncertain future of his role on the team. “I don’t have any control over that,” he said. “I know a couple guys got hurt and are coming back, but I’m just thinking about what I can do at this moment and go from there.”

In the Yankees’ lineup, Paul Goldschmidt has been positioned in the leadoff spot for the fourth time in five games under manager Aaron Boone’s strategy to balance left-handed and right-handed batters. After struggling in the previous season with the St. Louis Cardinals, Goldschmidt entered Wednesday’s game with five hits, including a double and a home run in 16 at-bats.

Despite a 0-for-4 performance during the Yankees’ recent loss, Boone maintained confidence in Goldschmidt. “As his spring went on, he kept getting better and better every day,” Boone said. “From the middle of spring, on the days he was playing, he was really consistent in his at-bats. Hopefully, that carries throughout the season. For the better part of a month, he’s been swinging the bat well.”

Boone also expressed optimism regarding Jasson Domínguez, expecting him to develop into a strong left fielder. “Over time, I feel like I won’t do that because I do feel he’ll get to the point where he continues to develop and is more comfortable with reps out there,” he said of Domínguez, who went hitless in Wednesday’s contest. “My expectation is he becomes an outstanding defensive left fielder.”

1x