Former President Donald Trump’s recent criticism of the Senate‘s border legislation has prompted pushback from Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson of Louisiana. During an interview with NBC‘s Kristen Welker on Sunday, Johnson asserted that he, not Trump, is in control of the House’s actions regarding border issues.
In a social media post last week, Trump blamed President Joe Biden for the current state of the border and called for a stronger response to the issue. Some Republican members of Congress have echoed Trump’s sentiments, suggesting that it is Biden’s responsibility to address the border situation.
However, Johnson made it clear that he will not consider any border deal in the near future. He emphasized that it is the House’s responsibility to make decisions on the issue.
Trump, in his continued efforts to influence the debate, has advised legislators to reject any border legislation that falls short of his expectations. He has advocated for executive action and vowed to take unilateral measures to close the southern border.
While some Republican senators claim they have received indications from Trump that he does not want the border problem resolved and instead wants to blame Biden, a bipartisan group of senators announced on social media that they have reached a compromise on border legislation. The full details of the legislation have not yet been made public.
Johnson expressed frustration with being excluded from the Senate negotiations, stating that he has not been offered a briefing. He noted that he and his colleagues made a trip to the border to hear from those in charge and gather information about potential solutions.
The House Speaker’s role is to unite the factions within the Republican majority that voted to remove former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy in October. Johnson assured Welker that he has been advocating for measures to address the border issue even before Trump’s involvement.
- Former Kentucky Star Shai Gilgeous-Alexander Shines at NBA All-Star Game
- Raptors Top Hornets in Hard-Fought Victory Despite Injuries
- Oilers Dominate Penguins in Lopsided Victory
- Crowded House Headlines Global Citizen Nights: Live from Melbourne Event
- Red Bull Racing Feud: Tsunoda’s Lack of Control Evident in Bahrain Grand Prix Clash with Ricciardo
- Winter Storm Blankets California’s Sierra Nevada Mountains with Heavy Snowfall
- Sydney Sweeney Clarifies Rumors with Glen Powell Cameo on SNL Debut
- Australia Hosts Second ASEAN-Australia Special Summit Amid Regional Geopolitical Shifts
- BJP Announces First List of Candidates for Lok Sabha Elections 2024
- Kevin James Reflects on Comedy Career Milestones in New Stand-Up Special
- SpaceX Successfully Launches Falcon 9 Rocket with Starlink Satellites
- Sunrise Hosts Surprise Dedicated Volunteer with Backyard Makeover
- USWNT Secures Victory Against Colombia in Concacaf W Gold Cup Quarterfinal Match
- Ryan Garcia Challenges Jake Paul to Historic Fight After Winning Bout
- Power Outage Hits Perth’s Northern Suburbs Due to Weather Conditions
- Chaos Erupts as Armed Gangs Storm Haitian Prison, Releasing Thousands of Inmates
- Extreme Cold Warning Issued for Cochrane as Wind Chills Reach -40 Degrees
- NRL Vegas Clash Sparks Field Goal Controversy in Roosters vs Broncos Game
- The Veronicas Announce US Tour After a Decade, Discuss New Music and Tour Stories
- Arkansas Grapples with Daylight Saving Time Dilemma